Summer Development Programs
Field Hockey Nova Scotia's members consist of players of all ages and skill levels. If you haven't played the sport, why not give it a try?
We have practice sessions and programs that are specifically designed for various ages and skill levels. Click on the following links for more information about each program and for registration information:
Field Hockey Facts
- Field hockey is one of the oldest competitive sports which is recorded way back into Ancient Greek Olympic games
- One of the most popular team sports in the world
- Field hockey is played on all five continents by 3 million people around the world.
- The International Hockey Federation consists of five Continental associations and 127 member associations.
Field hockey is an easy sport to pick up and play - all that is required is a ball, a stick and then a mouth guard and shin pads for safety
Field Hockey Nova Scotia
At FHNS we have a dedicated group of volunteer organizers, coaches and umpires that will strive to ensure that your kids, whatever the level or age group, get the best opportunity possible to try our sport.
We follow the principles of Field Hockey Canada's LTHD (Long Term Hockey Development) model and believe in keeping our youth active
The 2013 Summer Program
- Training Centre – Saint Mary’s University
- Wednesday evenings 8th May – 31st July 2013 from 7pm – 8.30pm
- Our summer program targets boys and girls aged 12 – 18 and all levels of skill
- The first four sessions in May concentrate on the basics: grip, stance, hitting, receiving, dribbling and tackling
- There is also a specialised program for goalkeepers
- This is a 14 week program with set practice plans
- After the first introductory sessions players will be allocated into teams, with dedicated coaches according to age, size and ability to ensure a fun time is had by all
- In June our sessions will incorporate more group activities and exercises moving into a game situation
We will have equipment available for use (included in registration fee) but encourage players to purchase their own stick and ball.
Cost and How to Join
If you would like to register for the program or have any questions please download and complete the registration form.
If you have any questions about the program contact Stephen Goosen, Director of Development Tel: 902-471-4007 or